Rhode Island Governor Gina Raymondo has emerged as the leading candidate for commerce secretary to President-elect Joe Biden, according to people familiar with the matter.
why does it matter: Raymondo, a Rhodes researcher who co-founded a venture capital firm in Rhode Island earlier in her career, prioritized good relationships with the business community, the target audience for commerce.
- However, Raimundo also ran into unions as she worked to fix public servants’ pension plans in Rhode Island.
- She also served as the national co-chair of Mike Bloomberg’s presidential campaign, endorsing Biden only after the former New York mayor withdrew.
- A Biden transition official declined to comment.
The Big Picture: Biden He was thinking A prominent CEO or Republican to lead the Commerce Department.
- When considering Raimondo, it appears to be moving to a more traditional option.
- Raymondo, 49, the former president of the Democratic Governing Association, is seen as a rising star in her party.
The plot: Raymondo was also under consideration to work as Secretary of Health and Human Services, a position that eventually transferred to California State Attorney Xavier Becera.
- In early December, she appeared to be graduating from the race by saying during a press conference, „I will not be President-elect Biden’s candidate for HHS’s secretary.”
„Organizator. Scriitor general. Prieten al animalelor de pretutindeni. Specialist în cultură pop. Expert în internet amator. Explorator.”